[BoT] File Editor - do we really need it?

GaVrA

IMO i really dont need this... Also i really dont like the thing they are trying to force this like a must have thing without offering old skul manual edit's... I really like to see what is going on on every mod, where does edits go and such, also i do think that there is heck a lot of pp who will love this mod, but like i said i really dont like not leaving option for manual edit's...

Now i have to read xml file if i dont want to have this mod installed...

If someone thought that this could be like with universal mod installer, well IMO they are wrong...

All i want is that in "Fresh Install.html" files an option for manual edits of files... Nothing else... I salute to mod creator for making it easyer for a lot of ppl, but i think that there is also a lot of us who like old skul... :P I thinkg Gorbo even learned php that way... :lol:

EDIT:

Just saw, when clicked on "Perform Edits" it shows what edit's must be made... :P Yay!

Edited by GaVrA

Well in all those "Update's" i never saw "you don't have to use the system to do the edits automatically at all." :P As you can see i opened this topic before installing this mod... hehe...

Well i still dont know how big impact shall it have on IPB world, but as for me, well, i recently upgraded to 2.3.5 and i think this pic say it all :D

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/6813/nonameyj0.png

All manual edits... :D What i think i might like about this is those backup's... For example, 5 mod's have edit's in 1 file, what is happening then with these backups? Ofc they are all install with [boT] File Editor... I mean look at time track of when you install mod's(which require edit in same file):

1. 19:00h first mod first backup

2. 20:00h 2nd mod 2nd backup

3. 21:00h 3rd mod installed, and guess what? 3rd backup is created

so what now if i want to uninstall 1st mod(19:00h)? Which backup will it use? If the answer is #1 then that is a problem, couse edit's for 2nd and 3rd will be lost... Or am i missing something?

And then what if different mod's have same place for edit's, i know i had problem with "Adriano__Block_Forums_from___View_New_Posts___1.2" and terabyte's "(T23) Group Format 1.1" in one file... :) I think it was action_public/search.php

Either mod creators will have to be very veeery specific about the edit's or it will mess up everything... I know when i was installing adriano's mod, there was one edit where i had to replace entire function with his one, just becouse he didnt specify egzeckly where are the edit's necesery. I mean i understand him, he just say "replace this with this" much easyer then find this, then that, after that add this, etc...

So just my 5 cent's about this whole thing... :) I hope you understand all this... :D

Unfortunately yes, the only way to uninstall the first mod is to revert to the first backup, but with automated file editing, all it takes is a few clicks to redo the other file edits :)

If the File Editor cannot find the line(s) it is searching for, it will display a notice saying that the edit needs to be done manually instead of the line numbers and check box to perform the edit.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Unfortunately yes, the only way to uninstall the first mod is to revert to the first backup, but with automated file editing, all it takes is a few clicks to redo the other file edits :)

Well i thought so, but that is egzackly what i would love this mod to have... :) So even you install 1st mod, 2nd, 3rd, etc, and it does simple check on 2nd and all other mod:

- is there already mod that was editing this file?

if yes then edit that file + edit backup file

if no then just edit that file

Something like that... I know that then i would love this... :D Know with 30+ mod's install i have several files that were edited, well, several times, and ofc i have several backup's of same file from different time line's... Very very hard to keep track of it...

• Management

Imagine a mod like my "(T23) Group Format" using the File Editor instead of manual editing :lol:

In a situation like that with 57 file edits could be very useful but the main problem is if you have a lot of other mod installed on the board that can broke the search routine and then you have to do edits manually... :P

Board Rules - Available Products - Need a Custom Work?

< Don't PM me for support, post in the forum or submit a ticket from the client area instead! >

Imagine a mod like my "(T23) Group Format" using the File Editor instead of manual editing :lol:

ye, that is why this mod is great, but also "(T23) Group Format" is the only mod i installed that require more then 2 min of job... :D It really remined me to my phpbb2 days... :lol:

In a situation like that with 57 file edits could be very useful but the main problem is if you have a lot of other mod installed on the board that can broke the search routine and then you have to do edits manually... :P

Like i said, that and backup's are my mine concern... If that could be made in way i described previusly i would simply love this mod... :lol: